Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.9.0.24!

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    Chatjd said:

Do the items show up in Content Library > Poser Formats?

The items show up in the content library > Poser Formats.  Weird. 

Hmmm...If I take "The" out of the front of the name of the metadata/product, it imports fine.  Tested this on other metadata not coming into the beta, though working perfectly in 4.8, and they don't seem to like metadata that starts with the word "The".  Anybody else able to test and verify whether this is just my installation doing this?

Somewhere it was posted that 'The' and 'A/An' are causing problems in the metadata and will be fixed in an update...

• BurstAngelBurstAngel Posts: 761
    edited November 2015

Okay, been trying to play with smart and cloud all day ... not having much fun. Trying to relearn how to manage my content sucks hard.

Post edited by BurstAngel on
  • Kaleb242Kaleb242 Posts: 344

How can I see which database is being used... Valentina or PostgreSQL?

I download and update all of my DAZ purchased content & software through DIM (Windows 7 64-bit), and have never altered the databases manually. I rely 100% on DIM. I have no idea what database I'm using.

According to DIM, all of my purchased content is downloaded, installed, and up-to-date... having launched DS 4.9.0.24 for the first time today, many products are now displaying a Cloud Download icon.

I launched the app as I normally do this afternoon, and was greeted with the new BETA splash screen, showing DIM upgraded DS to a new public beta, but did not receive any notice about needing to backup the database before launching, or that database conversions would be happening on first launch. I'm just now reading about all of this encryption and content management changes going on, and trying to figure out what I need to do to have a smooth transition.

I started a new thread trying to figure out what is going on with products showing a colored thumbnail with Cloud Download icon, and others in grayscale with a Cloud Download icon, on many products I have installed by DIM that are not being recognized by DS 4.9.0.24...
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/65704/ds-4-9-wants-me-to-cloud-install-content-already-installed-by-dim#latest
    ...but my discussion was closed, and I was directed here instead to look for answers and comment further.

According to DIM, I have 12,333 items installed. Do I have to manually convert every single one with the Cloud Download to use them now? And what does Cloud Download even do... encrypt the products? download metadata? register the products to my account?

• Kaleb242Kaleb242 Posts: 344

Whoa, just discovered in the FAQs that DAZ Connect downloaded/updated products can't open in Carrara or Poser (not even with the DSON Importer)?

Yikes! That's no good.

• DAZ_RawbDAZ_Rawb Posts: 817
    Kaleb242 said:

I download and update all of my DAZ purchased content & software through DIM (Windows 7 64-bit), and have never altered the databases manually. I rely 100% on DIM. I have no idea what database I'm using.

According to DIM, all of my purchased content is downloaded, installed, and up-to-date... having launched DS 4.9.0.24 for the first time today, many products are now displaying a Cloud Download icon.

I launched the app as I normally do this afternoon, and was greeted with the new BETA splash screen, showing DIM upgraded DS to a new public beta, but did not receive any notice about needing to backup the database before launching, or that database conversions would be happening on first launch. I'm just now reading about all of this encryption and content management changes going on, and trying to figure out what I need to do to have a smooth transition.

I started a new thread trying to figure out what is going on with products showing a colored thumbnail with Cloud Download icon, and others in grayscale with a Cloud Download icon, on many products I have installed by DIM that are not being recognized by DS 4.9.0.24...
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/65704/ds-4-9-wants-me-to-cloud-install-content-already-installed-by-dim#latest
    ...but my discussion was closed, and I was directed here instead to look for answers and comment further.

According to DIM, I have 12,333 items installed. Do I have to manually convert every single one with the Cloud Download to use them now? And what does Cloud Download even do... encrypt the products? download metadata? register the products to my account?

You shouldn't have to redownload anything in 4.9 for it to be used, the "cloud" icon indicates that you can reinstall it from Daz Connect but it will work just fine without that. If you reinstall it with Daz Connect it will be able to get single-file updates to make it easier to keep your content up to date, but otherwise it should be fine.

If you are a user of Carrara and/or Poser I wouldn't recommend uninstalling things through DIM yet because due to the new folder layout and encryption currently used in Daz Connect you can't use anything that is downloaded via that method in those pieces of software easily.

• Can someone tell me where can I find the log? For some reason, I now have a duplicate formulas notice when I load Genesis Female 3.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Can someone tell me where can I find the log? For some reason, I now have a duplicate formulas notice when I load Genesis Female 3.

On my Windows 7 PC, it is at:    C:\Users\<YourUserNameHere>\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4

A quick easy way to find the log file location from within DAZ if you forget to go to the menu and seelct Help > Troubleshooting > "View Log File..." to open the file, then from Wordpad select the "Save As" option and a random file type, then copy the default file save path.

Kaleb242 said:

If you are using PostgreSQL, Windows task manager should show you a bunch of postgres.exe tasks running (assuming it is actually running).

Kaleb242 said:

The beta should be running alongside, not in place of, your public version, so you should still be able to use your public version.    You don't need to download or install the beta if you don't want to try it out, and although it does share the databsae with the public version, it should not actually have unexpectedly appeared in place of the public version.   (or were you still running on an old Beta, and did not have the normal version installed?)

Also, I would advise that anytime you choose to install a new version of any piece of software, especially a beta or something that has made big changes, that you back up whatever is used by that software (such as the database and your mapped content directories) just like you normally want to periodically do.  I think you may have already found it, but partial backup instructions are mentioned briefly here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/940993/#Comment_940993 , although you of course also want to save the resulting file(s) somewhere beyond that.

• SassyWenchSassyWench Posts: 602
    edited November 2015

Can someone tell me where can I find the log? For some reason, I now have a duplicate formulas notice when I load Genesis Female 3.

I'm getting that since installing the beta. I've never logged into Connect so it isn't that. Also, it's happening on both 4.8 and 4.9.

Just as the last time this happened, click ok and it all works fine. :)

Log file is here: C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4

or: C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4 Public Build

Post edited by SassyWench on
  • Okay, Thanks!

• Is there a way to install plugins with the beta like LAMH or Keymate?  I've seen official plugins like Go Z and the Dynamic Cloth ones show up in DIM for 4.9 but not the others.  Can I manually install the 4.8 versions with 4.9?

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited November 2015

I don't know if there something wrong in making a feature request public, but maybe others can vocal their support, so I am letting you know about my feature request posted at customer support.

#204772 [Feature request] Add different labels for Iray Materials and Iray Shaders

I have noted that Studio now have new sub-categories for certain content types I would like to suggest that the labels for them get some different color to make them distinct from each other. Example:

We have now some sub-categories for Preset>Materials: 

• Preset>Materials>NVIDIA Iray 
    • Preset>Materials>3Delight 
    • Preset>Materials>LXM

The same happens for Preset>Shader: 

• Preset>Shader>MDL 
    • Preset>Shader>3Delight 
    • Preset>Shader>LXM

It would be nice if the labels get some coordinated color code. This could be useful when exploring a product in the Smart Content pane and could eliminate the sub-categories which have been created in the Default category. I think the addition of Iray sub-categories in Materials and in Shader was a bad move, since it makes the user to navigate deeper in the categories to get what he wants. Don't think it was a smart solution.

One last question: why make MDL and NVIDIA Iray, or 3Delight and RSL, as distinct sub-categories? I mean, I know they are not exactly the same thing, but for the users that is irrelevant, as what they need is get the correct material or shader for the render engine being used.

By the way: can someone at DAZ update the 2 pages in Documentation Center about these new Content Types and Categories?

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/dson_spec/format_description/metadata/content_types/start

and

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/dson_spec/format_description/metadata/categories/start

Thanks!

Post edited by MBusch on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563

Is there a way to install plugins with the beta like LAMH or Keymate?  I've seen official plugins like Go Z and the Dynamic Cloth ones show up in DIM for 4.9 but not the others.  Can I manually install the 4.8 versions with 4.9?

Most non-Daz plugins that install with DIM will install to both general release and beta (GenX is the only one I know about offhand that won't) -- if you never had a beta installed before you may need to uninstall and reinstall the plugins.  I don't know about plugins which aren't DIM-installable.

edited November 2015

-

Post edited by MBusch on
    edited November 2015

I am having mixed feelings about this beta. There are amazing additions to the Smart Content. I loved the new layout when exploring a product. It’s very nice to get all those store tags available and the info panel it’s also more complete and elegant. All the additions to the contextual seems very useful at  all. Kudos for all refinements when renaming some contextual menu options (I am reading the change log).

In the Content Library>Products, the icon besides the product entry is a nice touch. I also welcome the one single entry for product with all assets. It makes sense. That is better than the old way with one entry for DS, Ps, and PoserCF installers.

I can see some issues are being actively worked. I just reported the issue with the side navigation in Smart Content and see that the issue is fixed in the build 4.9.0.30. I request an option to load the “More Information…” in the Help pane and the feature is there in 4.9.0.30 :-) Nice!

Unfortunately Smart Content for all effects currently is broken and not working as it should. Here is my experience and some comments.

After backup my database I launched Studio 4.9.0.24 and accept the login to DAZ Connect. Data migration worked this time (it failed in the previous beta) and get sometime to conclude. I did not login in DAZ Connect on the first launch, so the migration occurs without any visible problem as you can see in the screenshots below.

Categories in Studio 4.9.0.24 after data migration working offline

After that, I login in DAZ Connect and metadata for all DAZ products was fetched automatically, not just for those products which I have installed. At this point the problems start to happen.

I really think that DAZ should make some routine to backup the User data before the migration or at least put a big warning to advise the users to get it done. The damage caused by mess the user data is very serious to be ignored. And it occurs by the way.

After fetching the metadata, Studio 4.9 ignores the previously installed metadata for DAZ products and use the fetched metadata. The problem is there are a lot of products which still holds deprecated metadata or no metadata at all. The screenshots below shows my categories in Studio 4.8 and 4.9 after load the fetched metadata.

Studio 4.8 after login in DAZ Connect Studio 4.9 after login in DAZ Connect

Clearly there are a problem here. Product data is overriding the user data in Studio 4.9.0.24. I reported this as bug to customer support and get the following answer:

• by DAZ Spooky. --

Working as designed.

Assigned as a feature request, but unlikely to have that changed.

Well, this is to bad as I spent a lot of time fixing broken and outdated metadata to get a cleaned content installation. I cannot see how this can be set as a feature request because it worked previously.

I will ask again, what is suppost to be hold on the Lost & Found category? Actually I have a lot of product entries in this category, including someones with fixed metadata. Look the screenshots below.

Casual Leisure Shoes For V4 A4 M4 metadata in Studio 4.8 Casual Leisure Shoes For V4 A4 M4 metadata in Studio 4.9

I not found any way to use Content DB Editor to fix the fetched metadata. I was able to re-categorize the assets using the Categorize function. It's not so easy, as you need to check the correct categories, uncheck the old categories, and finally delete the old entries after returning to the Content Library pane. Deleting an empty category entry is a slowly process and don't solve all the problem, but it is matter to another post.

Post edited by MBusch on
  • ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited November 2015

Is it just me, or did the 'Type' labels get bigger on the icons? I don't recall them obstructing so much of the icons before with list view.

It's almost as bad as the desktop 'Shortcut' thing that's so large, it completely covers up the icon for whatever the shortcut points to, lol.

(EDIT) They are larger. Tho understandably the old ones are impossible to read, however They are color coded. I'm not sure if there is a good middle ground for the 'List View'. That's one for serious consideration of options and weighing the pitfalls of either choice (larger or smaller type labels), that's a tough call.

Is it possible to have the Type label vertical and to the side of the Icon? Something like this, Possibly?

20151109_Older_Studio48_TypeLabels_Icons_001.png
    308 x 278 - 11K
    20151109_TypeLabelIdea_001crop1.png
    553 x 233 - 10K
    20151109_Studio49beta_Oversized_Labels_CoveringIcons_001.png
    333 x 141 - 7K
    Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • Hello I have a question about Daz Connect, I started reading the 32 pages of the previous forum but must confess I haven't read these latest pages so forgive me if I'm asking something that's already been covered. I've recently purchased a new computer which has a solid state drive. This is my C: drive. These are fairly small and as you'll know and most of the data you want to save gets transferred across to the main hard drive which in my case is now the E: drive. The DIM currently installs all my content to the solid state drive and it's filling up quickly. With the current DIM system everything works fine I transfer the folders across to the E drive and I've updated the Content Directory Directory so everything just links to the new library. The upshot of most of what I'm reading here though seems to be that, with Daz Connect, you cant move files from one location to another. Will the Daz Connect system be problematic when used in conjunction with computers with a solid state drive?

• lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996
    edited November 2015
    Mihrelle said:

Hello I have a question about Daz Connect, I started reading the 32 pages of the previous forum but must confess I haven't read these latest pages so forgive me if I'm asking something that's already been covered. I've recently purchased a new computer which has a solid state drive. This is my C: drive. These are fairly small and as you'll know and most of the data you want to save gets transferred across to the main hard drive which in my case is now the E: drive. The DIM currently installs all my content to the solid state drive and it's filling up quickly. With the current DIM system everything works fine I transfer the folders across to the E drive and I've updated the Content Directory Directory so everything just links to the new library. The upshot of most of what I'm reading here though seems to be that, with Daz Connect, you cant move files from one location to another. Will the Daz Connect system be problematic when used in conjunction with computers with a solid state drive?

You can tell DIM to download wherever you want (I believe it's in settings>download or something) and put libraries wherever you want. You can't move Connect files (as of now) but they install into whatever your topmost library is set as in Content Directory Manager. So just make sure your off ssd library isn't on C and you'll be good.

Note: If you keep your downloaded content after install, you'll need to make sure all your previously downloaded content is in the same new folder too so that DIM knows where it is.

Post edited by lx_2807502 on
  • Thank you, that's very helpful and answers the query :)

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited November 2015

Manifest and thumbnail files will still be wrtitten to the c: drive, to change that you need to 'hack' the *.ini file for DIM.

The location for that is somewhere in ...c:/Users/[User Name]/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Install Manager/UserAccounts.

Once you find the *.ini file the lines that need to be changed are as follows:

OverrideManifestDir=

OverrideThumbnailDir=

Use the same format for the new path locations that the other paths listed in the file are using.

Editted to add:  Studio's temp folder and DSON cache folder also default to the c: drive so you will want to change them in Studio's Preference settings.

Post edited by jestmart on
    jestmart said:

Manifest and thumbnail files will still be wrtitten to the c: drive, to change that you need to 'hack' the *.ini file for DIM.

The location for that is somewhere in ...c:/Users/[User Name]/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Install Manager/UserAccounts.

Once you find the *.ini file the lines that need to be changed are as follows:

OverrideManifestDir=

OverrideThumbnailDir=

Use the same format for the new path locations that the other paths listed in the file are using.

Ooh, I didn't know this one, thank you.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,437
    Tottallou said:

Is Autofit not working (or working differently) in 4.9 or is it just me?

There is no option to choose type like I have in 4.8

I am also seeing this behavior, even after removing basically all of my DIM installed content and downloading from Connect (installed to a completely different location, that folder being the Top of the list).

Ideas?

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,303
    edited November 2015

To test I uninstalled all products but the PostgreSQL with the DIM and then reinstalled only the PUBLIC beta build.

The idea is then to install all other files directly inside DAZ Studio with DAZ connect.

I try to give some feedback which potential roadblocks I encountered:

- - -

Installing files only available in the DIM:

New users might actually have it easier because they will just install every file that shows up in the DIM.

Nevertheless returning customers might find it difficult to know which files to install to start working with a combination of DIM and DAZ connect on a new workstation if they do only want to install a selection of files.

When trying to install DAZ Studio and content on a new workstation I noticed that in the DIM I have to perform the following steps to get started:

- manually search for the "Install Manager Default Filters" and install it

- Use the filter to search for "software" DAZ Studio and install it.

- Use the filter to search for "plugins" like GoZ, Photoshop Bridge etc. and install it.

- manually search for "Default Lights and Shaders for DAZ Studio 4.8+" and install it.

This procedure could be made easier if there was a filter category "Start Here" or "Essential DAZ Studio files" or "Install First".

Especially the "Install Manager Default Filters" and the "Default Lights and Shaders for DAZ Studio 4.8+" might get easily overlooked.

compare:

- - -

Installing "starter essential" files inside DAZ Studio

- After that was done I opened up DAZ Studio 4.9 beta and made sure that the checkmark "Filter by Context" is removed to show search results independant of items selected in the scene

- I first searched for "Starter Essentials" in the Smart Content Tab and installed them

- I then checked which files are allready installed by going to the tab "installed"

- I noticed that the file "Default Lights and Shaders for DAZ Studio 4.8+" is also available as "DAZ connect version" on the cloud and installed that version.

Also when installing with "DAZ connect" it might help new or returning customers if there was a special Smart Content Category called "Start Here" or "Essential DAZ Studio files" or "Install First".

- - -

Installing files required to use most character morphs

- My next idea was then to install other files that are not included for free in DAZ Studio but are needed for most products to work:

Genesis 3 Female Body Morphs

Genesis 3 Female Expressions

Genesis 3 Female Head Morphs

Important files like this could also be added into a Smart Content Category called "Start Here" or "Essential DAZ Studio files" or "Install First".

Keep in mind that files can be in multiple categories at the same time. Adding files to a "Install First" category will not remove them from any other category like "people" or "wardrobe" they are allready placed in!

- - -

- Unfortunately I was not able to find those basic head, body and expression files because they may need to be added yet to DAZ connect.

For now may plan is to add those missing files with the DIM and then keep adding those DAZ connect files that show up inside DS.

- - -

Update / Edit:

It quickly gets forgotten to also point out all the amazing details that are allready done.

Some examples:

- It looks great how in the "Pending" window the download progress is showed by slowly switching from a black and white preview image to a colored one.

- In general it is of great help that now in 4.9 when hoovering over a product a larger preview image is shown.

Thank you for all those new details that make browsing "Smart Content" more fun!

- - -

20151106 DIM default files.jpg
    Starter Essentials.jpg
    Installed Files.jpg
    Pending files.jpg
    Post edited by linvanchene on
  • ErdehelErdehel Posts: 386

I prefer moving folders into catagories, which is my main gripe with Smart Content right now, the only way to move files from the product library is to first create a folder, name it the same way and move the files into it. This is tedious and a waste of time and very discouraging. It makes me want to get rid of the clould downloads and go back to my Library since it is easier to copy folders into a catagory.

Same here. I am doing this since it has been possible in Studio. It is still working in 4.8. I tried to do it in 4.9's content panel and it seems folders can't create categories anymore. I think it is a bug since when you try do that you get to choose the category where the new category should be created but it does nothing afterwards.

Erdehel said:

I prefer moving folders into catagories, which is my main gripe with Smart Content right now, the only way to move files from the product library is to first create a folder, name it the same way and move the files into it. This is tedious and a waste of time and very discouraging. It makes me want to get rid of the clould downloads and go back to my Library since it is easier to copy folders into a catagory.

Same here. I am doing this since it has been possible in Studio. It is still working in 4.8. I tried to do it in 4.9's content panel and it seems folders can't create categories anymore. I think it is a bug since when you try do that you get to choose the category where the new category should be created but it does nothing afterwards.

I posted about it on page 1 of this thread and have submitted a bug report - haven't heard anything yet.

• Is it possible/easier to e.g. use the V4 pose converter to G2F and then add the converted poses into the content databsse so that they show up in Smart Content?

• ErdehelErdehel Posts: 386
    lx said:
    Erdehel said:

I posted about it on page 1 of this thread and have submitted a bug report - haven't heard anything yet.

Just posted one too :)

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,303

I did not know that it is THAT easy to actually install all compatible content for a specific figure once the main figure is installed.

Maybe this workflow helps some other users as well:

How to install all your available
    products for Genesis 3 Female with DAZ connect.

- download Genesis 3 Starter Essentials.
    - in the “Smart content tab” make sure “Filter by Context” is checked.
    - place Genesis 3 Female in the scene.
    - select G3F in the Scene Tab.
    - select the category “ALL” in Smart Content.
    - use “CTRL +A” to mark all products.
    - right click the orange selection and choose “Install from Cloud”.

Two weeks ago I wasted countless hours trying to find, download and install only products compatible with Genesis 3 in the DIM.

Now I was able to find the same selection of products in less than a minute to reinstall them with DAZ connect from the Smart Content Tab.

Download all G3F compatible products.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 617K
  • evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,437

Has anyone answered the question about how products like Pose Builder will work in the future? I know I've heard about a Content Library update for this Connect content... but... there had to have been a plan, before. Right?

I'm definetly an early adopter here, I yanked all my DIM content ( I expect to have to reinstall some) and am reinstalling with Connect. Its been an iffy process, but I am seeing lots of products I have "forgotten" about that I'd really love to use.

• DAZ_RawbDAZ_Rawb Posts: 817
    edited November 2015
    Mihrelle said:

Hello I have a question about Daz Connect, I started reading the 32 pages of the previous forum but must confess I haven't read these latest pages so forgive me if I'm asking something that's already been covered. I've recently purchased a new computer which has a solid state drive. This is my C: drive. These are fairly small and as you'll know and most of the data you want to save gets transferred across to the main hard drive which in my case is now the E: drive. The DIM currently installs all my content to the solid state drive and it's filling up quickly. With the current DIM system everything works fine I transfer the folders across to the E drive and I've updated the Content Directory Directory so everything just links to the new library. The upshot of most of what I'm reading here though seems to be that, with Daz Connect, you cant move files from one location to another. Will the Daz Connect system be problematic when used in conjunction with computers with a solid state drive?

Everything that Daz Connect installs is movable as per-product directories in the data/cloud directory, as long as it goes back into a data/cloud directory of a different mapped path. It may take a slight amount longer to load that content the first time after you move it while the "last seen" location in the database is updated but it shouldn't really even be noticable.

So this means that if you are running out of space on a drive you can move entire products around (with Daz Studio shut down), for example you can move C:\Users\Rawb\Libraries\DAZ 3D\data\cloud\1_3101 to F:\Daz\data\cloud\1_3101. Trying to move individual files from location to location will result in breaking things in hard to track down ways. Also remember that everything that Daz Connect installs will go to the first mapped path (there may be some UI updates to let you set this explicitly in a future build) but Daz Connect will search the data\cloud directories of all mapped paths for content.

Post edited by DAZ_Rawb on