New User Contest - September 2014 (WIP Thread)

2»

Comments

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

Xangth said:
    Love it, great idea!
    It is really hard to think unconventionally, great job!

Thank you Xangth.

I had some trouble with that as well. :ohh:

Not sure this will work for you but this is what I did.

I picked a prop I knew I wanted to use, eg: By the Seaside Beach Huts & Welding Cart, and then tried to think of something. My first idea was to use the Beach Hut as a storage shed and fill it full of tools and the Welding Cart but that really isn't that unconventional.

Then I started thinking of "What If" scenarios. What If a dragon lost his fire? How would he get it started again? I had the idea of a furnace pilot light going out. The Welding Cart seemed like a good prop for this situation. I had also thought about using the Beach Hut as either a tool box, possibly a table but settled on using it as a light with a candle in the centre. Not really that unconventional but it is different from it's intended use.

With Story Teller it really started with the Dragon again (I seem to have a theme going here). I decided to use him without his wings and I had not yet used Mec4D's Dragonesia Armor Suit, but it was when I saw the pose that the whole thing really started to come together.

Probably the most important thing though is to stay open to possibilities. The Fire Starter render isn't even close to what I first thought I wanted to do when I started. It has evolved considerably as I go looking for poses, props, etc. Not to mention adding new releases I pick up along the way. Like LY Sophie. I just had to have those dirt and battle damaged textures. :cheese:

Hope this helps.

edited December 1969

Kismet, I think the camera angle on the latest one is better. I wish I could see the woman's face better, but other than that the lighting looks fine. Nice concept, by the way!

Thanks Scott.

I tend to agree about seeing her face. She comes with some great make-up and nail options.

I will play with the camera angles some more. Hopefully I will find an angle that works.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    edited December 1969

Maybe you could turn her head slightly towards the camera. Maybe the dragon is in the middle of a sad part of his story and she's imagining the scene, nearly in tears. Or perhaps it's a humorous part of the story and she burst out laughing but had to turn her head as to not spit her food all over the table...

• TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

Thoughts? I wanted to use the coffee set.

coffee_small.jpg
    850 x 638 - 334K
    edited December 1969

TobiasG said:

I like the DOF and lighting but the expression on her face seems a little flat.

Not sure how she feels. Is she contemplative?

It looks like she could be sitting across from someone and perhaps listening to what they have to say. If this is the case perhaps a shadow to indicate another person's presence.

Or is she looking out a window?

edited December 1969

Title: Fire Starter

September Purchases Used: Yard Builder, Umbrella Patio Table, Ly Sophie, Strange Substances Pack 1, By the Seaside Beach Huts, Welding Cart and Coffee Shop

I added 3 Umbrella Patio Tables and the shed from Yard Builder to try and fill out the back a bit. I would have liked to add figures at the tables but not sure my computer can handle the extra figures. I also added more lights to illuminate the new additions.

Fire_Starter_38.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 481K
    edited December 1969

After watching Dimension Theory's video tutorial for the Strange Substances Pack 1 I tried blending the wall and floor materials together. I was trying to soften the transition from the floor to the wall. Not quite what I expected but an interesting effect.

Fire_Starter_39.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 434K
    edited December 1969

TobiasG said:

It looks like she could be sitting across from someone and perhaps listening to what they have to say. If this is the case perhaps a shadow to indicate another person's presence.

Thank you for the feedback! :) I intended this be her first cup of coffee for the day, right after getting out of bed. So she's not yet focused, still in caffeine withdrawal, and really staring into nothing. I don't think there's anyone with her (and if there is, she doesn't notice).

I could have made the eyes more puffy/baggy, or added heavier shadows under the eyes, I guess. In didn't want her to look hung over, though, just not quite here yet.

Hm. I'll think about if and what to change.

edited December 1969

After watching Dimension Theory's video tutorial for the Strange Substances Pack 1 I tried blending the wall and floor materials together. I was trying to soften the transition from the floor to the wall. Not quite what I expected but an interesting effect.

Strange Substances is definitely a fun item. I'm not quite sure yet where to use it to full effect.

I'm not certain how I feel about the combination of the mundane tables and the spacey floor/wall in your render. Quite literally - I've looked at more than once since you posted your first version, and I still don't know whether I love or dislike it :) Not too helpful, sorry! :D

edited December 1969

TobiasG said:
    TobiasG said:

Thank you for the feedback! :) I intended this be her first cup of coffee for the day, right after getting out of bed. So she's not yet focused, still in caffeine withdrawal, and really staring into nothing. I don't think there's anyone with her (and if there is, she doesn't notice).

I could have made the eyes more puffy/baggy, or added heavier shadows under the eyes, I guess. In didn't want her to look hung over, though, just not quite here yet.

Ah ha. That explains it then. I hadn't thought about it being her first cup of coffee for the day. I certainly know that feeling.

I remember a Garfield cartoon where John says something to the effect that modern medicine has found cures for all kinds of things except the early morning stares. Image a picture of Garfield staring off into space with really big, unblinking eyes. :cheese:

edited December 1969

TobiasG said:

Strange Substances is definitely a fun item. I'm not quite sure yet where to use it to full effect.

I'm not certain how I feel about the combination of the mundane tables and the spacey floor/wall in your render. Quite literally - I've looked at more than once since you posted your first version, and I still don't know whether I love or dislike it :) Not too helpful, sorry! :D

Not a problem. I understand your dilemma. I have seen renders that I am not sure about an element.

I am trying to do something surreal. Not something that, so far, has come naturally to me. I am just starting to get into fantasy/non-reality renders.

I have been basically throwing everything but the kitchen sink at this render. ;-)

edited December 1969

TobiasG said:
    TobiasG said:

Ah ha. That explains it then. I hadn't thought about it being her first cup of coffee for the day. I certainly know that feeling.

I remember a Garfield cartoon where John says something to the effect that modern medicine has found cures for all kinds of things except the early morning stares. Image a picture of Garfield staring off into space with really big, unblinking eyes. :cheese:

I know that feeling well! I had to swear off coffee in January, which was pretty tough. I'm considering moving back to Espresso...

As to the render, I'm tempted to leave it that way. I'll sleep on it.

edited September 2014

TobiasG said:
    TobiasG said:
    TobiasG said:

I know that feeling well! I had to swear off coffee in January, which was pretty tough. I'm considering moving back to Espresso...

It is a great render.

Post edited by Kismet2012 on
    edited December 1969

TobiasG said:
    TobiasG said:
    TobiasG said:

It is a great render.

Thanks! :)

edited December 1969

Title: Story Teller

Changed Sophie's hair to show her face a little more. I tried changing the camera angle but did not like the results.

Story_Teller_35.jpg
    1000 x 562 - 289K
  • KzickasKzickas Posts: 10
    edited December 1969

I call it Solitude. Using the umbrella patio table.

Solitude.jpg
    702 x 787 - 203K
  • Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited December 1969

Wonderful way to do a crescent moon. :)

edited December 1969

Wonderful way to do a crescent moon. :)

I agree. That moon is fantastic. Definitely thinking outside the box with this one.

Well don.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

That's looking really good, janerik_l!

Reminder: two weeks left to finish up your entries! The contest closes on Tuesday, October 7.

• aj-2477472aj-2477472 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Her name is E and she is a a character I am developing for a project.
    Used the breast control for G2F product.

E9.jpg
    800 x 800 - 135K
    edited December 1969

Removed the seats and hid the table portion of the Umbrella Patio Table. Applied Shades of Life: Bark Booster ( new item ) to poles and Grass Shader ( not a new item ) to canvas.

Fire_Starter_43.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 440K
  • raf.artyraf.arty Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Hi there folks,

Have known DAZ for quite some time, but never came round to work/try some ideas out, so here are 2 works based on the same idea, pretty abstract/modern, resized smaller to 72dpi and max 800px, so I will understand it's not to everyone's taste.

Have used 'venetian mask' and a base genesis figure (for the torso) from DAZ and then worked on with Bryce 7. Used furthermore some standard objects from within Bryce to 'sculpt' further with.

Greetings to all.....

daz3db.jpg
    800 x 445 - 286K
    daz3a.jpg
    800 x 445 - 251K
    edited December 1969

Welcome raf.arty. It is nice to see a Bryce user.

These are definitely examples of taking a new product and thinking outside the box.

Perhaps it is the angle but I personally prefer the 1st render. There is more space for my eye to wander and take in the image (I hope that makes sense). The extra white space also allows room for the eye.

In the 2nd image the figure fills the space and demands more of my focus and attention (not saying this is a bad thing).

Both are very nice images.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Welcome raf.arty. It is nice to see a Bryce user.

These are definitely examples of taking a new product and thinking outside the box.
    snipped

I have to second what Kismet said about welcoming a New Bryce User, but then I would, wouldn't I :coolsmirk:

• raf.artyraf.arty Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

...hope that 'reply' at the bottom is the way to go about it when replying on posts.
    Thanks for the comments and I suppose there aren't many Bryce users out there.
    Although not entirely free, together with DAZ3d, it provides the (poor) likes of me the use of pretty high end 3D tools...

:-)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

raf.arty said:
    ...hope that 'reply' at the bottom is the way to go about it when replying on posts.
    Thanks for the comments and I suppose there aren't many Bryce users out there.
    Although not entirely free, together with DAZ3d, it provides the (poor) likes of me the use of pretty high end 3D tools...

:-)

There is still a thriving Bryce Community. We have our own challenge over in the Bryce forum, and normally get around 40 entries.

edited October 2014

Very nice work, raf.arty! I prefer the first one as well, but both of them are well done.

Reminder: today is the final day of the contest! Please be sure to post your final render(s) to the entry thread by midnight (DAZ time)!

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

The contest is now closed.

Please join us in the October contest, now underway!

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,361
    edited December 1969