New User Contest - September 2014 (WIP Thread)

Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331

New User's Contest - September 2014

Sponsored by DAZ 3D

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest contest...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"My New Favorite Item"

Intent: To use lighting to attractively display your subject, and (optionally) to find an unconventional way to use a product in a render

In this contest, your task is to create a render that prominently features your favorite new item released during the PA sale (freebies are fine, but it needs to be an item released at daz3d.com during the month of September 2014). You are encouraged (but not required) to find a creative and unexpected way to use the product. Additional rule for this month: when you post your WIP or final image, please include the name of the new product you are using.

The other Community Volunteers and I will be checking in on the WIP THREAD to try and help with anything you all may need.

For a list of the current contest rules, please see this thread :Contest Rules
***Please remember to post your final entries to the Entries Thread, and include the title and the name(s) of software you used.***
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Closing Date: October 7th 2014

Post edited by frank0314 on

Comments

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited September 2014

This is a really rough WIP. Not sure this is "unconventional" enough.

Used: Princess of Eire 2 and By The Seaside Beach Huts

New_User_Sept,_2014_Entry_One_2.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 805K
    Post edited by Kismet2012 on
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,783
    edited September 2014

Unconventional use is always a tough thing when starting out as it takes looking at an item in new ways but sometimes the best artwork can come from looking outside the box. Some of the coolest examples come from Surreal Art like:

Example1
    Example2
    Example3
    Example4

Granted these are very very detailed and kinda extreme (we don't expect anything this detailed..not sure I could accomplish those examples LOL) and these are only one way you can push how you look at or use things but they are good examples in general to get inspired or just Google Surreal Artwork..there are a ton more.

For unconventional use you could think how else the Beach Hut could be used or the girls. The hut could be a Clothing Accessory maybe or the girl could be a part of the hut in some way (wind chime girls LOL) ? hehe Or the hut could be in some sort of Orb or something perhaps (like she is watching something happening elsewhere possibly -like an image within an image. Not saying use those just trying to give some fun ideas or examples you could potentially try exploring :) Really lovely so far. Keep up the great work! :)

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,523
    edited December 1969

This is a really rough WIP. Not sure this is "unconventional" enough.

Used: Princess of Eire 2 and By The Seaside Beach Huts

Hello Kismet

How about the Princess having the Beach-side Hut sitting on her hand like a Dolls House,
    with her opening up the doors with her other hand to reveal the beach scenery within the Hut ?

Good luck with the competition, I'll be working on the Carrara competition this month but I will keep an eye on this one.
    Hopefully it will get some excellent renders as well as some "Out There" concepts !!!!!!!

Regards, Bunyip

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,783
    edited September 2014

That's a really fun idea as well! Thanks for sharing! :)

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
    edited December 1969

Thanks Ann and Bunyip.

I look at others people's art and think "I never would have thought of that". This will be a fun contest and hopefully will push me to try something totally different.

• XangthXangth Posts: 127
    edited December 1969

A question, you mentioned that in this months contest that we need something from items released at daz3d.com during the month of September 2014. I've been hunting around but I am not able to find this months specifics. May I please ask where I might find the items.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2014

Click on the banner at the top of every Store Page the one that says Premier Artist Festival. That gives you the last 2 days of new releases each time.

Or look in New releases, all products down to (and including) Asian Skin Merchant Resource Texture Kit for Genesis 2 Female(s) if you view New Releases by relelase date are those that have been released since the 1st Sept.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,523
    edited December 1969

THIS ONE IS NOT AN ENTRY, IS TO HELP ENTRANTS GET THE CREATIVE THOUGHT PATTERNS GOING:-

Title:- Starmen
    My Favourite New Item is Strange Substances Pack 1 - for Critters and Sci-Fi

Items used Gen2M Martian & Creature Creator above Blue Planet by Aako

Variations possible on theme Mutant Sludge Man, Cyborg species.
    For this scene I could also have had the Green-Yellow alien holding a star like planet,
    and the Red-Blue Alien pointing to a star with the end of his finger ET light like as well as other variations.

Hope this helps, I'm back off to the Carrara contest, but will be dropping in to see some great renders by the contestants !!!!!

Starmen_above_planet_V1_x1950.jpg
    1950 x 1664 - 311K
  • kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    edited December 1969

Here's my first render. I'm testing different lighting sets to see which looks best :)
    Title: Still Alive?

Still_Alive.jpg
    900 x 675 - 748K
    edited December 1969

That is certainly thinking outside the box kaotkbliss.

edited December 1969

heheh

My original thought was to have the blackbird project under a magnifying glass (maybe coming out of the hut) but then I realized that model required another part that I don't have yet :(

Here's a couple more in different lights. It's already becoming difficult to choose and I'm not done testing lights yet :(

Still_Alive_(c).jpg
    900 x 675 - 714K
    Still_Alive_(b).jpg
    900 x 675 - 693K
  • berriboyberriboy Posts: 170
    edited December 1969

heheh

My original thought was to have the blackbird project under a magnifying glass (maybe coming out of the hut) but then I realized that model required another part that I don't have yet :(

Here's a couple more in different lights. It's already becoming difficult to choose and I'm not done testing lights yet :(

Really good Idea though I think the background is a bit strong for this image. When I try to focus on what is in the cage it becomes very distracting for me.
    edited December 1969

Thank you. I think you're right. As I look at it now, the large patterned wallpaper does take away from the subject.
    I'll get that fixed :)

edited December 1969

Thank you. I think you're right. As I look at it now, the large patterned wallpaper does take away from the subject.
    I'll get that fixed :)
    You're welcome, glad I could help.
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the advice, I think I got he lighting good too :) Getting rid of that wallpaper really helped

Still_Alive_(d).jpg
    900 x 675 - 452K
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the advice, I think I got he lighting good too :) Getting rid of that wallpaper really helped

Yes, the backdrop looks better and the lighting is very good...nice work so far. In terms of room for improvement, you might focus on the composition of the image...the way the cage is right in front of the man's head looks a bit odd.
    edited December 1969

Thank you :) I adjusted the angle so everything isn't in such a straight line. I did have to adjust the lighting though as the light was intensified by the camera angle. Still looking better though :)

Still_alive_(e).png
    900 x 675 - 944K
    edited September 2014

What does a dragon do when he loses his fire?

Second attempt at an out of the box render.

The lighting needs a lot of work. To this point I was concentrating on the props and set up.

New Release Items Used: Welding Cart, By The Seaside Beach Huts, Strange Substances Pack 1, Coffee Shop and LY Sophie

Fire_Starter_17.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 471K
    Post edited by Kismet2012 on
    edited September 2014

I'm reusing the same idea but have recently acquired the New Fractal Fairy Wings and reworked one of the models.
    I'ts a huge file so I am working with it. Any suggestions to make the image better are welcome.

I was also trying a second idea also using the fairy wings on the models but it is still very rough. I am working on both. The first is same as before title "Released" the second idea I don.t have a name for yet.

magic_hunters2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 131K
    captivated3.jpg
    800 x 800 - 112K
    Post edited by Xangth on
    edited December 1969

What does a dragon due when he loses his fire?

The lighting needs a lot of work. To this point I was concentrating on the props and set up.

New Release Items Used: Welding Cart, By The Seaside Beach Huts, Strange Substances Pack 1, Coffee Shop and LY Sophie

A truly great idea, I love it.

edited December 1969

berriboy said:
    What does a dragon due when he loses his fire?

A truly great idea, I love it.

Thank you. :lol:

edited December 1969

An updated version. I have added quite a few lights.

Fire_Starter_31.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 484K
    edited December 1969

Xangth said:
    I used the new release DAZ3D Creature Creator Add-ons for Genesis 2 Male(s)

Playing with ideas, I've been working on this one and I have another in mind to try. Suggestions and comments are welcome.

This is a nice start, however Creature Creator Add-Ons for Genesis 2 Male is not a September 2014 release...it came out July 15, 2014 according to the read-me: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/19399/start
    edited September 2014

Love the concept and posing, and the lighting in this latest version looks great! The scene might need a tiny bit more filling out...that's the only thing I can think of at the moment. You won't want to clutter it up too much, but if feels slightly empty as of now.
    Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

Love the concept and posing, and the lighting in this latest version looks great! The scene might need a tiny bit more filling out...that's the only thing I can think of at the moment. You won't want to clutter it up too much, but if feels slightly empty as of now.

I agree about the scene needing filling out. I'd like to say I'm leaving room for more new releases. ;-)

edited December 1969

Title: Story Teller

New Releases: Coffee Shop and LY Sophie

Story_Teller_19.jpg
    1000 x 562 - 299K
    edited December 1969

Title: Story Teller

New Releases: Coffee Shop, LY Sophie and changed Sophie's outfit to Leather Fantasy Armor for Genesis 2 Female which I bought today.

Story_Teller_20.jpg
    1000 x 562 - 299K
    edited December 1969

Love it, great idea!
    It is really hard to think unconventionally, great job!

edited December 1969

Same image but a different camera angle.

I couldn't stop tweaking the image.

Story_Teller_24.jpg
    1000 x 562 - 288K
    edited December 1969

Kismet, I think the camera angle on the latest one is better. I wish I could see the woman's face better, but other than that the lighting looks fine. Nice concept, by the way!